Eight landmarks illustrating the rich history
of the Queen Slipper City.

Haverhill Firefighting Museum
75 Kenoza Avenue
Haverhill, Massachusetts
haverhillfirefightingmuseum@gmail.com
http://www.haverhillfirefightingmuseum.org/

About The Haverhill Firefighting Museum

Established in 2003, The Haverhill Firefighting Museum is home to an extensive collection of firefighting artifacts highlighting the history of New England firefighting from colonial days to the present time. The Museum was voted Best Museum by the readers of the Eagle-Tribune in 2022.

  • The Hero Headquarters is an interactive play space for children featuring Police, Fire, and EMS Stations, with a 12-foot wooden fire engine children can play in, children’s dress-up gear, interactive activity walls, a fire reel, and hose, a scavenger hunt, toys, books, and fun! The Adopt-A-Hydrant program encourages residents, business owners, students, and civic groups to adopt and maintain one or more fire hydrants close to their homes, school, or business.
  • Adopt-A-Hydrant is a program that engages the community to assist with beautifying Haverhill and ensuring our Firefighters can locate a hydrant in an emergency. A fresh coat of paint ensures that the hydrant is easily visible should it need to be used by our firefighters. In the winter, the fire hydrants may become buried in the snow, which makes it difficult for firefighters to locate and operate them in case of a fire. Having to take time to shovel out a hydrant is valuable time lost that could have been spent containing a spreading fire. A fire doubles in size every 30 seconds, so every second counts when firefighters are called to action. Keeping the hydrant area free of debris, leaves, and weeds in the autumn and spring/summer months is important too! Do you have a hydrant that could use some TLC? Reach out to the Haverhill Firefighting Museum to pick up your supplies today!
  • The Chili Cookoff is an annual October event where the best chili cooks in Haverhill come out of the woodwork to compete for the title of “Most Delicious Chili” in three categories: (1) Best Individual/Business, (2) Best Firehouse/Police/EMS, (3) Best Restaurant.

Museum Hours

  • Open Saturdays, May through October, from 12 noon to 4 pm. Seasonal with off-season events.

Museum Admission 

  • Adults $5, Children $3, Family $10. Free admission to our Service Members and their families.

About Museum of Printing

The Museum of Printing is dedicated to preserving the rich history of the graphic arts, printing and typesetting technology, and printing craftsmanship. In addition to many special collections and small exhibits, the Museum contains hundreds of antique printing, typesetting, and bindery machines and a library of books and printing-related documents. A non-profit organization, the Museum was incorporated in 1978 as The Friends of The Museum of Printing, Inc., to save and preserve printing equipment and library materials associated with the graphic arts. The history of printing has changed dramatically during the last 200 years, moving away from letterpress printing to photographic and electronic technologies. We tell the stories of these changes using one of the world’s largest collections of printing and typesetting hardware and ephemera. The Museum’s building contains a store, several galleries, two libraries, and meeting and workshop areas. The Main Gallery contains printing presses of all kinds. There are also two art galleries with rotating exhibits.

Museum Hours

  • The Museum of Printing is open to the public Saturdays from 10 am to 4 pm. We are happy to open at other times by appointment.

Museum Admission 

  • Admission is $10 for adults and $8 for children 6–16, seniors, and students. No charge for members. Available for event rental.

Museum of Printing
15 Thornton Avenue
Haverhill, Massachusetts
https://www.museumofprinting.org/  

Buttonwoods Museum
240 Water Street
Haverhill, Massachusetts
http://www.buttonwoods.org
info@buttonwoods.org 

About The Buttonwoods Museum

The Buttonwoods Museum is named for the Buttonwoods or sycamore trees planted on the property in the early 1740s by Haverhill’s first Irish immigrant, Hugh Tallent. Mr. Tallent worked for the Saltonstall family, who once owned the property. In 1814, the Duncan family, prosperous merchants, built a fine example of a rural Federal-style mansion on the site. Mary Duncan Harris gave “The Buttonwoods” to the Haverhill Historical Society in 1903, and the Museum opened in 1904. The Buttonwoods Museum houses furniture, ceramics, glassware, quilts, dolls, and toys. A visit to the Duncan House illustrates the importance of the Merrimack River in trade, commerce and travel. The Buttonwoods site is in the middle of hundreds of years of Haverhill and Merrimack Valley history! A visit to the 1710 John Ward House begins a journey into life in the area during and after English settlement. The John Ward house is a please-touch house, filled with reproduction redware, tin ware, cooking utensils, and more!

Museum Hours

  • Open for events and homeschooling projects all year, open for in-season tours May through October, Tuesday – Saturday, 10 am – 5 pm, and Sunday, 12 noon – 5 pm. Tours are offered*: Tuesday through Friday 1 – 4p or by appointment, Saturday 10a – 4p and Sunday 12 – 4p.
  • The Buttonwoods Museum/Haverhill Historical Society is closed from November 1 through April 30 every year to save on energy costs associated with heating bills. 

Museum Admission

  • Admission fees are suspended at this time. Please feel free to leave a donation when you visit.
  • We have some events and fundraisers during the months we are closed to the public for tours. Call to inquire regarding the rental of event space. 

About The Dustin House or Dustin Garrison House

The 17th Century brick landmark can be found on the National Register of Historic Places and is available for private tours. Built in 1697 by Thomas Duston, husband of Hannah Emerson Duston and a well-respected brickmaker and mason. This brick-and-mortar structure was built in 1697 as a garrison, created to protect the early American colonists from the threat of attack by the northern Abenaki natives. It is recognized as an example of First Period architecture. This garrison, manned by local militia, was one of six located in Haverhill and the only one constructed of local bricks; the others were built using imported bricks. Thomas Duston of Kittery, Maine, the husband of Hannah Emerson Duston, who became known for her story of captivity during the construction of this garrison, was a well-respected brickmaker and mason. Due to the skilled craftsmanship of Thomas and local carpenters, this building remains standing over 320 years later, with stories to tell of life in early America.

Museum Hours

  • The Museum is available one weekend per month from June through October and by appointment. 

Museum Admission

  • It is currently free of charge; however, donations are gratefully accepted.

The Duston House/Dustin Garrison House
655 Hilldale Avenue
Haverhill, Massachusetts
(978) 430-4506
diane.itasaka@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/DustonDustinGarrisonHouse/